Friday, December 12, 2008

My New Shoes

As I have mentioned before I work at a running specialty store where I sell high end running shoes, apparel, and accessories. There are a few benefits that come from working at a place like this.

1. Discounts on equipment
2. Sales reps that give you better discounts on equipment
3. Sales reps that give you free stuff

Most everyone that works at my store gets a free pair of shoes. Usually they're a sale shoe from last season we happened to have in their size. That was my first pair of shoes, which were these monster frankenstein shoes I could never run in, but worked well for standing on my feet all day. My second pair came when I asked my boss what our price on the Pearl Izumi's I had my eye on were. He pulled out a coupon he had for a free pair and said "How is free?"



The other day I was working by myself when my boss asked me what size shoe I wore. "Eleven," I said. He handed me a pair of Nike Pegasus+ 25 in a new color we only had a couple of pairs of. He said maybe new shoes would make me happier and therefore my increased positive attitude would translate into more sales. I did my first run in them last night. They're a nice shoe to walk around in, and I love the color, but I'm not sure I would continue to run in them.



A few days later the New Balance rep came in and brought a pair of free shoes to all the employees. About a month before hand my boss gave us all the option of ordering one of two shoes from New Balance. Mine were the 769, a stability shoe that is surprisingly comfortable. I'm not a huge fan of New Balance for a number of reasons. They tend to fit my feet weird and their designs...frankly they tend to suck. You would think with a name like New Balance they would be a little more forward thinking with their look. My shoes aren't any prettier, but they are more comfortable than I thought they would be and they'll make a great training shoe as I continue working toward my half marathon. Not sure what I'll race in though. I really have my eye on some Adidas Adistar Control 5's.

No comments: